Saturday, May 31, 2014

Turn Thrift Store Jeans Into Distressed Shorts


Hi guys, summer is just around the corner and i've been making some DIY shorts and distressing them myself. I don't know about you but I always struggle to find good summer shorts. I don't like shorts to tight because then I get hot and uncomfortable, that's never fun during summer. 

If you want to make a pair of shorts yourself this is what I suggest. Look for pants at thrift stores, I try to find pants that are to big for me around the waist and I make sure the pants have stretch in them. I've made the mistake too many times of buying jeans that are cute, but so tight and have no give. I end up never wearing them b/c I find them uncomfortable. 


Here are the steps to turn your jeans into distressed shorts:


1. Cut your shorts to your desired length, I usually cut them a few times trying them on after each cut to see how they look. I like to cut at an angle, as you can see in the above picture. 


2. Fold your shorts in half and cut the other side to match. Remember if they aren't perfect its not the end of the world. You will be distressing them after all. 


3. Once your shorts are to your liking, use scissors or an exacto knife to make some cuts into the jean.



4. Then use tweezers to pull the thread up from where you cut. It's a little hard to get started but once you get a few strands out it should go much smoother. It's can be tedious but the result is worth it. 

5. Throw them in the washer and dryer and the bottoms will fray.

6. Put them on and go play outside. 



 Who is ready for some summer fun?!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment