Tuesday, April 8, 2014

DIY Hanging Planter

I'm loving plants lately, maybe it's because i'm living in the land of eternal winter or maybe it's because i'm becoming my mother. My mom is the ultimate plant lady and I couldn't be happier to become one myself. I've also been wanting to bring a little more green life into my house, since everything outside is still dead and brown. I saw THIS cute hanging planter and knew I wanted to make it. I put my own spin on it and had a lot of fun! I hope you guys like it! 
Supplies: 
  • Rope
  • Tape
  • Tape Measurer 
  • Scissors 
  • Spray paint 
  • String 
  • Plants 
  • Terra-cotta Pots 


I began with three, four inch Terra-cotta pots, they are only $1 each. 


Next I spray painted them white. Then I let them dry and taped the tops. 


I spray painted the bottom portion gold. This is the only part of my project that i'm not 100% satisfied with. I could not get a straight line with my tape. It doesn't look very "clean" but  I was happy with the project as a whole. 

Here's how you make the "rope plant holder".  

  • Cut one piece of rope 10ft long and fold it in half. ( 2- 5ft pieces) 
  • Tie a knot 2 inches from the top. (This will be how you hang the pots) 
  • Cut two more 10ft long ropes and fold them in half as well. 
  • You should now have a total of 6 strands of 5ft ropes. 
  • Wrap them together at the top with rope or string. 

  • Measure 9 inches down from top (from where you wrapped the pieces of rope together) 
  • Pair off your strands of rope and tie them together.  
  • Measure 2 inches down and combine strands (see above picture, it explains it best)  

  • Above is what it looks like when you've tied all 3 strands together. 


  • Measure 2 inches down and wrap string around and around combing all 6 strands. I added orange string too for fun. 
  • Continue these steps 3 times to create your rope plant holder. 

I used succulents for this project, because i'm not confident in how well I can keep plants alive yet. If I kill these guys I may not have what it take to be a plant lady. 

Just place the pots in the rope holder and they will sit very nicely. I'm not worried about them falling out they are nice and secure.  


 I'm so happy with how it turned out. I have them hanging in my house now and it's the perfect little decor to add some green life to my home. 







2 comments:

  1. Love it, so creative, hope they're by light!
    -Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, succulents aren't the easiest of plants! They need lots of light and it's easy to overwater them. I would suggest something like chlorophytum instead. They collect water in their roots and can therefore stand long droughts as well as don't get upset with overwatering. It's also easy to tell by the colour of their leaves if they need more watering or not (lighter green/grayish and droopy leaves suggest you need to water more). They also look nicer in hanging planters, imo. ;)

    ReplyDelete