Thursday, July 17, 2014

DIY: Engraved Key Necklaces


Hi friends, for anyone wondering I am safely back in Canada. I was welcomed in with a thunder storm, so typical Canada...oh well. 
While I was in Ohio I had a sleep over with my bestie Jessica. We've been friends for almost 10 years now and even though we go months with out seeing each other, whenever were together it's like no time has past. We got through puberty together and any friendship that can with stand those beautiful years is sure to last a lifetime. We love crafting a taking pictures, we did a small photo-shoot together and I will post those pictures very soon. 


She is such a kindred spirit, we are alike in so many ways and are differences complement each other so well. I have a bad habit of going through Jess's closet and while looking through her craft box I found a bag of old keys. She told me we can make engraved necklaces and I was SOLD. Apparently you can buy letter stamps at the hardware store for pretty cheap. So naturally we made friendship necklaces, they are by no means perfect but we were happy with them. 



Step 1. Pick a word you want and grab your letters. (We chose KINDRED!)
[You should work on a flat sturdy surface, we made our life harder by working on this uneven cement...]


2. Place the letter on the key. 
3. Hold the key still.
4. Hammer the letter until you can clearly see it stamped into your key. 
5. Repeat with each letter, until you've spelled out your word! 
6. We colored over the stamped area with a sharpie to darken the letters then quickly wiped it away. This helped the letters pop a little more. 


7. Lastly, put your key on a chain and enjoy your personalized engraved key necklace. 


I hope this inspires you to make one of your own! 

PS: you don't have to use a key, you could use a washer or any other metal-like object :) 




2 comments:

  1. I am obsessed with those stamps. I am definitely going to try this!

    ReplyDelete