Saturday, September 27, 2014

Acorn Squash Soup


~I'm fallin for fall~

Last week my husband went grocery shopping for me because he's amazing and I hate grocery shopping. I asked him to get me a chayote squash and he came home with an acorn squash. It turned out to be such a happy mistake. Although I had never cooked with an acorn squash  before I didn't want it to go to waste so I looked up some recipes and then made up my own acorn squash soup! Let me to tell you something, it's freakin delicious. Even my husband who is not a soup guy, loves this. 

Might I add that if you like parsnips then you will love this soup they add such a great flavor. I guess if you don't like them you can always use carrots instead. Also, it's packed full of good things for you so without further ado here is how you make it! 


Ingredients: 
  • 1 acorn squash
  • 1 sweet potato
  • 2 parsnips
  • 1 onion
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • dash of cinnamon 
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • tsp cumin
  • dash of cayenne pepper 
  • 1/2 tsp of ground ginger
  • 2 1/2 cups of chicken or vegetable broth 



1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. 

2. Peel your parsnips and sweet potato. 

3. Chop them up and steam them till a fork can easily go through them. 


4. Cut your acorn squash in half, scrape out the creepy insides. 

5. Place squash onto a greased baking sheet and bake for one hour at 400


6. Sauté your chopped onion and crushed garlic in oil till it smells good. (you can tell i'm really precise here lol) 

7. Add 2 1/2 cups of broth to your pan. 

8. When your squash is cooked, scrape out the good stuff and put it in your pan along with your steamed sweet potato and parsnips.

9. Add in your seasonings: dash of cinnamon, salt and pepper to taste, tsp cumin, dash of cayenne pepper, 1/2 tsp of ground ginger. (PS: i'm really not one who measures, so feel free to play around with your spices or add something else that taste good) 

10. Pour everything into a blender or food processor and blend away. If you don't have a great blender like me, you may have to blend your soup little by little and not all at once. 

11. Get cozy and enjoy a tasty hot bowl of soup. 



With fall recipes like this I can't help but fall in love with fall?


No comments:

Post a Comment